Wouldn't it be something if I actually had the guts to sing in front of an audience.
I imagine it would be in some dive, blues bar, somewhere in the heart of New Orleans. Some old, run down place off Bourbon Street with too many stories. I would go on around 1:00 a.m., just as the night was winding down. The patrons would be drunk and tired, but they would wait for me. They couldn't possibly go to sleep until they'd heard me sing.
The lights would dim and a blue spot light would hit the stage. It would have to be blue. A smoky, male voice would be heard over the quiet rumble of the crowd. "Ladies and gentlemen... Miss Nina would like to bid you all good night."
I would walk onto the stage with me head down, dressed all in black. Calmly I would approach the microphone, still staring at the floor, waiting for my music to arrive. Out of the dark, the first piano notes would hit. And as I opened my mouth, I would look up, the electric blue of my eyes would overwhelm the moment.
My voice would be slow and steady, full of lost inhibitions and carnal desire. I would melt you.
"Love me love me love me
Say you do
Let me fly away
with you
For my love is like
the wind
And wild is the wind
Give me more
than one caress
Satisfy this
hungriness
Let the wind
blow through your heart
For wild is the wind
You...
touch me...
I hear the sound
of mandolins
You...
kiss me...
With your kiss
my life begins
You're spring to me
All things
to me
Don't you know you're
life itself
Like a leaf clings
to a tree
Oh my darling,
cling to me
For we're creatures
of the wind
And wild is the wind
So wild is the wind
Wild is the wind
Wild is the wind"
I would be wild and inconsolable. Something just beyond your reach. A creature not of this world. I would intoxicate you. Lead you on without you ever knowing it. I would take you to a different planet that felt like home.
I would be so beautiful.
"Do you get the gist of the song now?"
-Nina Simone
No comments:
Post a Comment