"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Communication

The Narrator says...

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a dialog between nemeses.

With a low glare and a slight smirk, Lacey looks up to see a familiar face moving her way. She doesn't bother to get up from her comfy spot on the couch, just says without hesitation, "Well then, what the fuck can I do for you this evening, Miss Sunshine?"

"Charming," Susie says with her practiced smile. She walks calmly over to the opposite end of the couch and sits down gently. "Let us just skip the formalities, shall we," she says as she sits up straight and looks at the floor. "I have a problem. I surprisingly and regretfully need your advice, please."

Lacey's smirk widens. As she looks at the broken mirror across the room from her she sees several faces smiling back at her. She stands up quickly and moves to the chair across from the couch. "Since you asked me so sweetly, please proceed. Just watching the hatred in your eyes when you talk to me delights me. It doesn't even matter what you say."

Susie moves her gaze to Lacey's, and yet again flashes her perfected grin. "As I was saying, I have a problem. You may have recently noticed that this apartment is now officially occupied by only one person. There are no roommates to compromise with, as well as no roommates to possibly trash something. The extra room is empty, I need to fill it. Quickly."

With an expression that gives no hints, Lacey waits for the rest of the story. When nothing is said, she says, "What? Do you want my help picking out the drapes? Why the fuck does this concern me? This isn't my area, Sue."

"Su-SIE!" snapped back the nevermore particular Miss Susie Sunshine, with a nevermore larger smile, "Now, I realize that home decor is not your area, thank goodness. Rest assured I have plans in the works to turn that into the best room in the apartment. However, my current problem is something much more... irrational... I think that's the word for it. That is absolutely your area."

"If it's so irrational, what the problem?" Lacey says.

"I'm having trouble going into the room. It scares me."

Laughing slowly, Lacey says,"What the fuck is wrong with you? It's just a room."

"Of course I know that! I didn't mean I was irrational, I meant the problem is irrational," says Susie desperately trying to keep her cool. God, what she would give to be having this conversation over the phone right now. She imagines typing the word cunt over and over again on the word processor of her work computer and starts to feel a little calmer.

"I stick by my answer, Sue, "says Lacey winking. "It is only a room. What's scary about that?"

"I have already thought of three things. One, lots of empty, ominous space. Two, the sounds. Because of the empty space, it echoes. And three, I have never gone in that room much. I realize that even though I have lived here for four years now, that room has always belonged to a roommate. So I just, never went in there. It feels like I don't belong in there."

Lacey rolls her eyes and says, "This is ridiculous." She stands up and grabs Susie's arm pulling to her to her feet.

Protesting, but knowing she can't get away from her grip, Susie firmly says,"Oh please, this is completely unnecessary."

Ignoring her plea, Lacey drags her through the living room and down the hallway, saying, "It's just a fuckin' room." She turns the door nob of the room and shoves it open. The sound of it slamming against the closet behind it surrounds them as they enter. Lacey pulls Susie to the middle of the room and turns to face her. "So here we are. What now?" she says throwing her hands in the air.

Susie looks down, "I think it's just so empty."

Again rolling her eyes, Lacey says, "No it's not. You and I are in it."

With that, Lacey marches out of the room, slamming the door behind her. Yet again, the sound is amplified. Susie hears her say from outside the door,"Now you're in it. Stop wasting my time."

She hears her walk down the hallway and out the front door. Susie stands alone in the room and realizes the little cunt is absolutely right. "What now, indeed."

No comments:

Post a Comment