"These fancy things, will never come in between
You're part of my entity, here for infinity
When the war has took its part
When the world has dealt its cards
If the hand is hard, together we'll mend your heart"
-Rihanna
Think about anyone you've ever cared about. What is the one obscure feature about them you always took note of? The ridiculous little quirk that just drove you crazy with interest. For me, it's hands.
I love hands with character. Hands that look like they have been used well. An artist's hands. A hard worker's hands. A mother's hands. The more lines, the more scars, the more cracked skin, the better.
I wrote a poem about my hands once, in high school. It won an award. I was the only person in the school that did, and I was a sophomore to boot. My only claim to high school fame. It's one of the more honest things I have ever written, pointing out that you could tell what kind of a life I've lived by my hands. I talked about the scars on them and the sad stories behind them. That was over 7 years ago. They are lot more scarred now.
People don't shake my hand often. Seeing a twisted hand scares them. As if it's going to hurt them somehow. Ha, pussies.
My best friend has even more mangled hands than I do. Her joints are fused. She's my other half. My fellow freak. We speak the same language.
She is competing in Miss Wheelchair Utah in a few days. I helped her write her speech. When she wins, I think I might cry. Honestly, it's not much of a competition, she is going to win. Her victory is not what will make me cry. It's more we will be sharing a moment together. A moment that only she and I could ever fully understand. A moment we made.
I told her if she wins I will enter next year. Hmmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment