"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Sunday, November 8, 2009

Go Back To Sleep


"Even now I can feel it, buried somewhere deep inside, watching me, waiting..."

Nina says...


I'm fairly certain that my favorite comic is the Hulk. I just feel like I can relate to Bruce Banner sometimes, ya know? Poor, poor Bruce.





Amanda says...


I hate talking about this stuff, but I feel like it's important to start keeping a record of it somewhere.


So last night I got a migraine. First one I have had in a few months, at least. And when I say migraine, it was a doozy.


The pain started around 3 am. I just sat down and noticed that my head sort of hurt. I took some Ibuprofen, smoked a bowl, and decided to go to bed. Around 3:30 am, my head really started to hurt, and I decided to take a muscle relaxer. At 3:45 am I started to vomit and thereby decided it was going to be a long night, since when that happens it is officially a migraine. Once vomitting starts, I can no longer take any more medication, I will only throw it up. So at that point I was in pain, very sick, and kicking myself for not taking my antinausea medication when I had the chance. I stopped vomitting around 4:30 am, and that is when things start to get fuzzy.


So 4:30 am to about 10:00 am this morning, this is what I know. My head was in tremendous amounts of pain. I remember at one point lying in my bed, rubbing my head, and getting some morbid amusement from feeling all the knots in the muscles around my temple. I remember laughing and saying "Well, Francis, it seems you have come to keep me company tonight." Then I remember suddenly being really scared because I was certain that Francis had come to kill me, and I was alone. I was convinced I was dying. I called a friend, who didn't answer because it was five in the goddamn morning. By the time I hung up the phone, I wasn't even sure why I had called him. I was completely confused. I honestly had no idea what was going on, aside from the fact that my head really fucking hurt.


I think I fell asleep around 6:00. I woke up at 10:00, and I was fine. I had a dull headache, but nothing nearly as bad. I was tired, but I was fine.

So then, what have I learned from this whole event? While Francis is no longer showing up on a regular basis, he is certainly showing more gusto then he has in the past. That's okay, I can handle it. Obviously. I'm still here, and I am fine.


The only thing concerning me, though, is this... confusion, dellusion, psychosis?... I can't find the right word here... that I seem to feel when I am in the midst of an ... episode?... is that the right word? I mean, I know very well now that I was not dying, nor am I ever dying when these things happen. I just have a migraine. Problem is, I am so certain that I am dying at the time. And combining fear with pain is not a good thing.


Hmmm... I'm gonna have to think of possible solutions to this problem. I need to find a way to remind myself that I am fine when I am in those states. Maybe I will make some sort of sign for my room. It will have to read something like "Relax, man" or something that will make me laugh. Something ridiculous and comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment