"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Thursday, July 30, 2009

A White Flag

BACFLOFEN - ORAL (BACK-low-fen)

USES:
To treat muscle tightness and cramping (spasms).

HOW TO USE:
Take this medication by mouth, usually 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor. Do not suddenly stop taking this drug without your doctor's approval. If you suddenly stop taking this drug, withdrawal reactions may occur. Such reactions can include seizures or hearing/seeing things that are not there (hallucinations).

SIDE EFFECTS: Drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, tiredness, headache, trouble sleeping, nausea, or constipation may occur. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: mental/mood changes (e.g. confusion, depression, hallucinations), hearing/vision changes seizures, fast/pounding heartbeat, fainting.

PRECAUTIONS: Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical hitory, especially of: kidney problems, seizure disorder, mental/mood disorders, brain disorders (e.g. stroke). Use caution engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving or using machinery. Limit alcoholic beverages.

*****

Amanda says...

At 18 months old, I was officially diagnosed with Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy.

"Spastic CP, the most common type, is a disorder in which certain muscles are stiff and weak. The stiffness can occur mainly in the legs (diplegia), only in the arm and leg of the same side (hemiplegia) or in both arms and both legs (quadriplegia). A wide-based, staggering, or "scissors" gait is characteristic of this type."
-www.webmd.com

I've been avoiding taking muscle relaxers on a regular basis my whole life. I was raised in a family of addicts. I was raised with a fear of anything "good" that came in any sort of a substance.

Yesterday was my first day on the drug regiment. Last night was the first time I can ever remember sleeping through the night. I woke up today feeling...well, lovely. Lovely is the best word for it. I have never felt lovely upon waking up at any point in my life. After being still for so many hours, my muscles are usually stiffest when I wake up. It can take hours for me to really start feeling okay. Today...I just woke up and was ready. Wow. I also didn't feel the usually pang of a morning headache. Again, wow.

Part of me feels like this is wrong. But a bigger part of me feels like I deserve this. I deserve for life to cut me a little slack. I deserve to feel good when I wake up.


So, for now, I am surrendering to this drug. I am admitting that I can no longer do this by myself. I am choosing to consciously enter into a physical addiction to something. And I am relying on my faith in my self-control, and on my friends and family who I know will tell me if things are no longer within my control. For the first time in a long time, I am scared. But I like fear. It let's us know when things are no longer the same. And if things don't change for me, I will become consumed by pain. I can't continue to deny that.


Lacey says...

Oh yes, Francis. Take that, you stupid fucker!

No comments:

Post a Comment