"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Very Long Day



mind fuck:
Something that seriously fucks with your brain, such as watching Fight Club every night for a week. Trust me on this.



Amanda says...

I have never believed in giving up, no matter what. But sometimes, it is best to simply accept people for who they are. Including ourselves.


Susie says...

This day won't seem to end. I find myself off my game today. Perhaps it is because I have been playing all day... the same, horrible game.

Bad weather on the East coast meant cancelled/delayed flights galore. Or the deepest bowls of Hell at work, that's accurate as well. I spent eight hours straight on the phones, more than half of which was spent talking to people who weren't really paying attention to what I had to say the first time around. Or the second. So most of the day was spent repeating myself over and over and over again. And almost everyone I spoke to was pissy from the get-go. Thank God for caffiene. It allows you to keep going and going and going. Just to add an extra kick in the ass when I was already feeling 10 feet under, I got caught in a downpour that included hail on the way to my car after I was finally done working, which completely soaked me. And now, I have to go back for a shift from 4:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. A stray shift I happened to pick up. We have been so slow the past few months and I was convinced I could get the little three hour shift off. First busy day HAD to be today. Joy.

In between my shifts, I didn't have time to do much aside from eat and nap for a bit. So in an act of pure desperation, after a truly gruesome day, I attempted to vent off a little steam. I tried to actually have a conversation with that degenerate of a roommate of mine. I simply had no one else. Since he was under the influence of both marijuanna and alcohol, the conversation was a punch-line short of the biggest joke in the entire world. Not only did he proceed to constantly interrupt me, going off on totally irrelevant tangants, he also did the exact same thing that all my customers did all day long: ignored me and forced me to repeat myself, drunkenly swearing to me, "No, really, I am totally listening this time!"

I am hanging on by a very fine thread, made of fail-safe manners and adrenaline. Coffee don't fail me now.


Nina...

I love how theraputic music is. I just put on those headphones and disappear. It took a little while to find just the perfect thing today, shuffling through Norah Jones, Regina Spektor and Jill Sobule... I needed something soothing but bitterly true. And then...there she was, as she always is. Nina Simone. Telling me, "Dont forget get to sing with lust!" And so I did, belting out the words to I Put A Spell On You, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, and eventually Feeling Good . And I felt oh so good. I then drifted off to the good memories of Steel Train, and proceeded to Kill Monsters in the Rain while I was sleeping.

When I woke up, I found good company in my little brother. Just like the good, old days, we lit up a joint and proceeded to reminsce and talk about nonsense. A good conversation about the little things in life that are still important to talk about. The things that are good for the soul.

A perfect wind-down and reboot. Just what I needed.


Lacey says...

I hate long, busy days where I constantly have to be social. It clogs up my mind with thick bullshit. My mind isn't even quiet when I sleep on a day like this. All I do is have nightmares, getting no real rest at all.


Sparky says...

Family is the best. They humor you while you pour your heart out to them, pull you out of your funk by talking about something completely different, then pump you up for your next round of life with blatently honest and ridiculous motovational speeches. "Come on now...it's Eye of the Tiger time! You have got to be like Rocky, ready to take down that fucking Russian guy! Or ya know...whatever he was."

Okay... It's been a long, taxing, and sometimes treacherous battle. You have fought and fallen courageously, proving yourself the victor more times than not. I know it's been a tough war and you are exhausted, but it is time for the final, epic stance. And you will be rewarded for your well-earned success with hours upon hours of glorilously un-interrupted rest. And the satisfaction of knowing you are a champ.

It's time to focus. Turn on Painkiller by Judas Priest, twist that volume dial till it's as loud as it will go, and scream along to the words you know so well. Put on your Grrrrrrrrr face.

Let's do this fucking thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment