"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Thursday, December 24, 2009

No Need For Xmas

Nina says...

Oh Christmas time. ... I'm trying to feel the joy of the holiday, because I know I should. But I don't. The truth is it's an overrated holiday that gives people an excuse to be nice to others when they really should just be doing that anyways. Not to mention, the whole thing is suppose to celebrate Jesus and I get the feeling he is laughing at most of us around this time of year. Sometimes I imagine He would prefer people say "X-mas" rather than "Christmas." I imagine He doesn't want much to do with what his birthday has become. Huh! Oh well.

Now New Years... that's my bag, baby. I love new beginnings. And a new beginning it shall be. Filled with things I enjoy. Like...

Breakfast burritos. Truly, they just send me over the edge! So delicious and fattening. Yum! They are worth gaining weight. Absolutely.
(I'm enjoying one at this very moment. Walking over to my laptop I accidentally dropped it on the floor. Because I'm clumsy and it happens. And I decided fuck it! I'm gonna eat it anyways. It's not like I will catch some random disease off the floor that didn't already belong to me in the first place. I'm really the only one in my apartment these days. Except for my housecat. But I'm pretty sure he and I share the same disease anyways. So no biggie.)

Art. Lots and lots of art! Movies I love. Projects I want to get done. Music I crave!!! All the creations that make my heart go pitter-patter. And writing. Good writing. The writing I have been hiding. I'm going to be the artist I always have been. No matter how weird it makes me.

Travel. My urge to see the world is still pounding through my chest. I think I will see New Orleans this next year. The blues bars and the graveyards. A "Nina Simone good" moment awaits me there. I just know it.

Love. There shall be love. With who or what, I don't know. Honestly, I kinda hope I fall in love with myself. Meh, I don't think the subject matters. All that matters is that I will love something. Intensely, completely, and unconditionally. Something that won't disappoint or turn on me. ...oh I'm excited about that!

...and I think I will sing a lot more.
"Bright light city gonna set my soul, gonna set my soul on fire..."

No comments:

Post a Comment