***WARNING!!! THIS ENTRY IS FAIRLY PERSONAL AND CONTAINS SOME SERIOUS TMI. IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN MAINLY FOR PERSONAL RECORD, AND ON THE OFF CHANCE THAT SOMEONE READING THIS HAS ANY INTEREST IN MY COMPLICATED HEALTH SITUATION. BE PREPARED TO LEARN A BIT TOO MUCH ABOUT ME IF YOU CONTINUE.***
So I have been taking the muscle relaxer Baclofen to help manage my migraines. And it has been quite effective. My headaches have been less frequent and fairly predictable. Wonderful, right? I should have done more research.
First of all, Baclofen causes insomnia. Ha, well there is one mystery solved. It's also the reason for this moment of "medical eureka." I feel like I haven't really slept in a year now, and there is only so much entertainment one can get from Facebook and Myspace before they turn to random research.
It was my random research that brought me to the interesting fact that Baclofen increases blood sugar levels. Guess what that can lead to... yeast infections. I have spent the last three months caught up in one of the most frustrating medical dilemmas of my life, a mysterious yeast infection with some ridiculous gusto to it. I have been tested several times for STDs, pregnancy, and hormonal imbalances, all coming up negative. I have tried every treatment available, even the last resort of Boric Acid capsules, which are just as painful and humiliating as they sound. Still, my infection persists. I have been to several doctors, wherein which I have learned firsthand that as a disabled young woman it can be extremely difficult to be properly treated for such a common problem since the first doctor I saw refused to examine me (and look me in the eye, I might add) saying it wasn't necessary for a proper diagnosis. Not to mention what it has done to my mental health, I feel disgusting.
Now I learn (on my own) that a simple blood sugar test and change of medication may be the answer to all of it. What the hell are any of these doctors good for? It's not like I have kept my Baclofen use a secret.
However, the truth is, it may not be a matter of just a simple medication change. Turns out Baclofen can be somewhat difficult to get off of once you have been taking it for a prolonged period of time. A prolonged period of time being a few months. I have been taking it for almost a year. You have to be tapered off the drug slowly, otherwise you can suffer severe withdrawal, the main symptoms being hallucinations that can borderline mania and/or seizures. Also severe muscle rigidity, particularly in patients with spastic diplegia. Oh goody.
Some other interesting information I found on Baclofen include studies that suggest it is not right for people with a history of mental illness as it can increase confusion, depersonalization, and depression. Perhaps this could explain my recently developed anxiety problem.
I suddenly find myself in what may be a complicated medical situation. All because I didn't take the time to research a pill before I started popping it and because I put too much faith in doctors who just don't take enough personal interest in me. But can I blame them? It's not like I'm an easy patient.
Then there is also the migraine problem. If I stop the medication, my migraines will come back full force. I will be debilitated 3-5 times a month. How the hell am I suppose to work? It's not like a I can keep Francis on a schedule.
Some days my life just sucks.
No comments:
Post a Comment