"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Friday, September 18, 2009

Her Brain Is Squirming Like A Toad

Nina says...

So there I was, in the middle of the desert under an absurdly starry sky. The air was perfectly calm and comforting where I sat, but all around me on the horizon the storm was raging. Endless miles of lightning striking the barren land. Flashes of great white light surrounded me on all fronts. It was almost like I could feel the energy nipping at my nose. Undeniably there, but just beyond my reach.

As the pink skies argued away yonder, I laid down on my back with my eyes facing the nocturnal sky. And that is when I heard him... Jim Morison. The Lizzard King himself was singing his own personal serenade, just for me. "Riders on the storm. Into this house we're born. Into this world we're thrown..."

Jim adores me. He is drawn to my spirit and my artistic charm. I can feel him flirting with me from beyond the grave, still the eternal ladies man. I can hear him singing to me in moments when I am sure I am in the midst of true beauty, lacing the moments with poetry. He loves a woman who can be wooed with words. Especially his words. I wonder what it would have been like to be tangled in a web of passion with him, this wild gypsy. I'd like to think we would have stayed up for days at a time just talking. About everything. About nothing.

I wonder if my soul mates will always be the ones just beyond my reach. If I will always feel I belong with the men who will never belong to anyone. Part of me thinks it is better that way. Could I ever give up my freedom to actually belong to someone? Would I love a man who clung to me as his most prized possession? Or would it feel like a cage? I don't think I could ever enjoy being tethered. Even to Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment