"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Monday, October 5, 2009

Do you understand... FINALLY?!!!

Amanda says...

I visited a haunted house in Phoenix. It felt nice to scratch the itch I always feel around this time of year.


Lacey says...

I went home. I forgot how much I missed it.

The smell is gone. So are the dark corners. And the ghosts. (I never would have thought I would miss them.) But it still feels perfect. And the same old music is playing... "You couldn't turn back time, thank you, Einstein. Now he... HE was nuts!"

And waiting for me was a synthetic joker, a would be Dark Night with a fake smile. He tried so very hard to stand his ground. Silly boy.

We'll see what the funny man looks like
When he frowns
I'll turn that smile upside down
Pull those teeth out one by one
I won't stop till they're all gone

It's so easy to play a person
Who's already been portrayed
But I dare you!
Plunge deep within yourself
Pull out the darkest pieces
And put them on parade
For all the people to poke and prod at
Plunder your pain
Pillage the potential
Pick at the possibilities

You are far too frightened to be fearless
You are a fake
You are finishd

Oh...
Why so serious now?


He got in my face and tried so hard to make me see the funny side of life. He did his best to stare me down and convince me of his freedom. But when I did nothing but stare back, with a silent intent that led him to believe I would destroy him if only I wasn't contained, he coward before me. Despite his best efforts, he was not a worthy adversary. He wanted me to see chaos in him. Instead, he found it within me. Once he saw it, he wouldn't even look at me anymore. It seems I still have a place where the more I hate people, the better the show. And it's a good thing. It's a great thing.

Funny how a spook house can be so important. For Christ sake it's just a bunch of ply wood and eerie lighting. But it brought me out to play. I guess something real can emerge from make-believe.


Sparky says...

God I love to perform! Especially in a place where I particularly fit in. I really think that someday I just may run away and join a sideshow. It just feels so right sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment