"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Saturday, April 24, 2021

Pronoun Play

 The Narrator says...


A mess of a young thing approaches the stage. Red hair, everywhere --cropped at the neck and pointing every direction. They walk timidly to the center of a small, ragged stage as a single spot (could-be flashlight) lights a microphone stand. The microphone sitting atop is snatched with a noisy fumbling, as a pair of shaded eyes emerge from uneven, crimson hair. The voice that is projected is surprisingly clear and cheerful, and captures the crowd with a wild sense of mystery. A full band is slowly lit to life behind them, reverent and waiting. Anything is about to happen.


Myrtle says...


It's really rad of you all to be here. I got tired of those old bitties hiding me in the closet all the time, so you know, here I am. I figure I'll introduce myself with a quick little number we put together.  It was sort of last minute, so please, don't take it out on the band! We are all just doing the damn thing.


One... Two.... A one two three YEAH...


Myrtle is…


15… or 16… 17, if you’re cute and stupid

Spit out your best line, killer


A classy punk

She writes his lyrics in cursive


RED HAIR!!!

EVERYWHERE!!!

RED HAIR!!!

EVERYWHERE!!!


Headbanging with his eyes closed

Her world spins like disco

He’ll look you in the eyes to tell you you’re trash

Her number one hero


Not wasting any time

You really must insist

She’s not the greatest that ever was

Or he who is to be

They are simply free

With no warranty


She comes as is!

He can't be returned

RED HAIR!

EVERYWHERE!!!


Fuck you

Myrtle is.




No comments:

Post a Comment