"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

-Edgar Allen Poe

An exceprt from the movie 12 Monkeys...

It's a condition of "mental divergence". I find myself on another planet, Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though it's a totally convincing reality in every way...I can feel, breathe, hear...nevertheless, Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?

-L.J. Washington


Monday, May 24, 2010

Social Experimenting


"Boy, you think you're clever, don't ya
Girl, you think you're so smart
Come with me to another side
In a world so cold and so dark
Stay wide awake

A world so dark, a world so cold
A world where only some will go
But none return
When will they learn
Where do they go
God only knows
Stay wide awake

So dark and so cold
My friends don't know this other side of me
There's a monster inside of me
It's quite ugly and it frightens me
But they can't see what I can see
There's a vacancy in my tummy
It's makin' me play hide'n seek like Jason
I'm so hungry"

-Eminem



Nina says...

Okay, no more smoking weed before we go out. Things just get too weird.


Sparky says...

I went to a nearby coffee shop tonight. I never go on Sunday evenings, but I found myself not wanting to be home and I was in the mood to write. So off I went.

I arrived only to find my comfortable, hang out swarming with teenagers. I had unintentionally wandered into an Open Mic Night.

And then it started to rain. Literally, within the minute I entered the shop... downpour!

I was trapped for a little while.

My thoughts started to race a bit. I don't think I can properly explain the dread. It was comparable to what I'm sure a cornered animal feels. A mixture of fear and fury.

I tried not to panic. I realized I could either let this happen, or I could get cold and wet. Neither sounded appealing, so I said "fuck it" and decided to order some coffee.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I was spotted! In my state of quiet frenzy I had overlooked the fact that the kid standing next to me in line was an old acquaintance. I had worked with his older brother at the haunted house. I distinctly remember him unsuccessfully propositioning me to have sex in one of the coffins almost every night one season, till I had one of my Boys talk to him. He is currently in prison for the rape and attempted murder of his girlfriend. The brothers could have been twins, they looked so much alike. Needless to say, I was not expecting to see this kid tonight. By the time I realized who he was I was too far into small talk to get out, with a big, polite, shit-eating grin on my face.

The kid offered to buy my coffee. I pretended not to hear him over the roar of angsty teen poets, staring off into the crowd. But then he asked me a second time, already with the money in his hand. "You sure you don't want anything?" he said. Before I could answer, or not answer, the barista, who of course recognized me, said "Oh yeah, she's a White Mocha girl." Now I was fucking committed. Shit.

I decided it would be best to sit outside, despite the cold. Most of the young people were inside, plus my new friend wasn't too keen on it. I figured as long I stayed under the metal canopy, out of the rain, it wouldn't be that bad.

The kid sat with me for a bit, we made more small talk. I got worse and worse at it as it went on; I don't have much patience for that type of conversation. I intentionally let things get boring, especially after he mentioned me coming to hang out with him at his new place. He finished up a cigarette and informed me he was going inside to listen. I didn't object.

Immediately after he was gone, I quickly got my iPod and notebook out. I was going to make the place habitable till the rain stopped, goddamit!

Sunddenly! ...(I promise you, the events of this evening really did happen quite quickly and unexpectedly.)... but yes, SUDDENLY! A herd of minors started piling out of the shop. Apparently, the first Round was over. I instantly regretted sitting with my back to the door, because I heard them before I saw them. It was terrifying.

I was surrounded within seconds. They overtook the table I was at without saying a word. They completely ignored me. I sat right in the middle of them, and they hardly looked at me. They knew I was there, it was obvious I made them nervous. I found it amusing for a little while. I just sat there, staring at them as they spoke, waiting to see if any of them would ask me what the hell my problem was. They did nothing.

Isn't it interesting how the teenager acts? They literally choose not to acknowledge the strange and unusual because it makes them so nervous. Because it scares them. Yet, they also have no problem moving in on it, trying to outcast it. So comfortable in a crowd of their peers.

Well, I could only handle so much of that before I'd had enough. Soon the headphones went in and the black hood went up. The Eminem started blasting and I started writing, in that wonderful serial-killer way. And soon I started bouncing to the music, obviously doing my own thing. I closed my eyes.

When I opened them again most of the kids who had been sitting with me were standing, some of them in the rain. Eventually they all went back inside for Round Two.

I sat there writing. And waited for the rain to stop.

...honestly, I feel like it was a successful experiment, really. A bit uncomfortable, but I think I came out victorious in the end.


Lacey says...

It really is starting to come together. It won't be long till it's finished.

Lacey is loved.
Loved. Lovely. Longed for. And looking.
Lacey is not lost.
Lacey is found. Straight. Forward.
Lacey is not left.
Lacey is right. Correct. True.
Lacey is not a lie.
Lacey is lucky like the color lime green.
Not black. Or blue. Or brown.
Lacey is alive.
Thriving. Striving. Hypnotizing.
Tick-tocking your time away.
Till tomorrow becomes today.

Sway with her.
As she slithers up your spine.
She's slippery.
Like trickery.
She'll seduce you.
And sweep you away.
She'll sing to you.
Soothe you.
And swear to you she'll stay.
She'll satiate your unsatisfiable starvation.
She'll save your soul one second.
Just to slice it up,
Swallow it down,
And savor it in the next.

Before you're aware
You're addicted.
Inflicted.
Conflicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment